[Avodah] Ashkenazic Pronounciation

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon May 15 10:52:51 PDT 2023

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 06:39:20PM +0100, allan.engel at gmail.com wrote:
>> Then I pointed out cases where there are halachic issues to be
> > raised. Such as an Ashkenazi pronouncing Sheim Adnus in a way that in our
> > ancestors' mouths would mean "my lords", with a patach-yud...

> I have heard this concern mentioned many times, but I have never heard
> anyone complain that the patach-for-segol substitution of much of Polish
> Jewry would be just as problematic, for example in the first Beracha of the
> Amidah - Elokei Avraham being pronounced as Elokay Avraham. This would be
> an Ashkenazi pronouncing "the Lord of" in a way that in our ancestors'
> mouths would mean "Avraham, my Lord" c"v.

Not really... Their anscestors pronounced tzeirei identically.

This is akin to a Sepharadi saying shaim adnus with something a Teimani,
not just us Ashkenazim, with a patach.

> Sometimes halachic objections are found for political reasons...

As, at times, are halachic defenses.

I am just defending my statement that I understood and appreciated R
Kook's position. Are you arguing that R Kook delegated Havarah Yisraelit
to a "only when you can't do it right" status because of his politics???

RAYK has a general pattern of defending minhag over innovation.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 39th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   5 weeks and 4 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Netzach sheb'Yesod: What is imposing about a
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                        reliable person?