[Avodah] Ashkenazic Pronounciation

allan.engel at gmail.com allan.engel at gmail.com
Mon May 15 10:39:20 PDT 2023

On Mon, 15 May 2023 at 18:12, Micha Berger via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

Then I pointed out cases where there are halachic issues to be
> raised. Such as an Ashkenazi pronouncing Sheim Adnus in a way that in our
> ancestors' mouths would mean "my lords", with a patach-yud. I was not
> suggesting the answer to those question. (Which appears to be the way you
> understood me.) Just that it is, as I put it, "problematic".

I have heard this concern mentioned many times, but I have never heard
anyone complain that the patach-for-segol substitution of much of Polish
Jewry would be just as problematic, for example in the first Beracha of the
Amidah - Elokei Avraham being pronounced as Elokay Avraham. This would be
an Ashkenazi pronouncing "the Lord of" in a way that in our ancestors'
mouths would mean "Avraham, my Lord" c"v.

Sometimes halachic objections are found for political reasons...