[Avodah] The Wise Son vs the Wicked Son and the word ''you''

Zvi Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 12:50:12 PDT 2023

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 12:06 PM Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 11:53:49PM -0400, Zvi Lampel wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 6:06???PM Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
> wrote:
>
> How valid is the diyuq of "lakhem velo lo" when we are speaking to the
> rasha, if we are willing to overlook the distinction when talking to the
> sh'eino yodeia lish'ol?

It's not a formal diyuk. Certainly, in the actual context of the posuk,and
in its citation to the sheh-ayno yodea lish'ol, it's not meant to accuse
the listener of being unworthy of geulah. It's simply exploiting the word
l''achem'' used by the rasha (who, the drasha treats the speaker, asks
rhetorically, "What is the [need of] this avodah?") to turn it against him
with a clever retort, quip, comeback, put down, bon mot, performance of a
jiu jitsu with the offender's own words. To make him gnash his teeth.

ZL