[Avodah] learning priorities

Joel Rich joelirarich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 20:01:22 PDT 2023

Comment to a magid shiur concerning learning priorities:

One way of looking at it is that life is all about having manageable and
realistic expectations based on what gives your life meaning. In the US,
starting in the 1970s, there began, unintentionally(?), a huge experiment
of reallocating parental time away from children and to work for both
spouses in a marital unit. It doesn’t seem talked about too much but I’m
sure someday there will be a study to determine the impact. I imagine that
in the child centered orthodox society the results will be even more
marked. No, I’m not just talking about women learning it but I think this
is a good example. If both spouses are totally committed to
learning/teaching Torah is there a downside? All this analysis would be
based on data, not anecdotes.

thoughts

kt

joel rich