[Avodah] Hanaah as a Kind of Kavvanah?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jun 27 10:30:45 PDT 2023

Rashi (RH 28a) and the Rambam (Chmeitz uMatzah 6:3) both write that
the reason why matzah eaten under compulsion is sufficient to fulfill
the mitzvah even though the person didn't have kavvanah is because they
did have hanaah.

I came up with a theory as to how hanaah can serve the role of kavvaah.
Posting it here to collect comments, criticism and tweaks.

The Rambam explains "Ratzah HQBH lezekos es Yisrael" in terms of his
shitah that the role of mitzvos are to teach the thruths necessary to
become good people and have souls capable of surviving death. Hashem
wanted to benefit Israel, so He gave us many opportunities to have that
epiphany, that qoneh olamo besha'ach achas. The insight that will get
the person over that hump, or if there already, to a higher place.
But more performances are not going to simply click. We need them,
because without many opportunities, the meaningful mitzvah won't happen.

I would not that the same may be true with other hashkafos. For example,
most times a man puts on tefillin he isn't going to improve his middos (eg
gain any bitachon or yir'as Hashem, or even seder). One could say that
the purpose of mitzvos is the one-in-a-hundred (and halevai more often)
that it "works". But however, you read it...

So then what's the purpose of kavvanah during that majority?

To get you coming back.

Hana'ah does that too. A mitzvah that comes with a positive physical
experience serves the role of making the performance that "works" for
you more likely. The psychology of it doesn't have to be any deeper
than Pavlov's dogs'... Positive reinforcement increases the chances we
do things again.

And that would explain why halakhah considers hana'as haguf a sufficient
stand-in for kavvanah?

Thoughts? Things that need fixing? Totally off-base?

Micha Berger                 Integrity is choosing to practice our values
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   rather than simply professing them.
Author: Widen Your Tent                  - Brene Brown
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF