[Avodah] Medical Symbol - Snake on a Stick

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jun 26 12:12:36 PDT 2023

R Avi Shafran recently noted (as part of his Devar Torah at
<https://cross-currents.com/2023/06/26/chukas-echoes-of-the-snakey-thing/>):

   It's commonly, but erroneously, assumed that the symbol commonly used
   for the medical profession, a snake, or a pair of them, wrapped upon
   a pole, is meant as a depiction of the nachash hanechoshes that Moshe
   Rabbeinu fashioned, as per Hashem's command. The Jewish people were
   to gaze upon it and be cured of the plague of poisonous snakes they
   were facing.

   But the symbol used today comes to us from Greek mythology, associated
   with the imagined divinities, a depiction of the "Rod of Asclepius"
   (or, when there is a pair of reptiles, the caduceus).

In Greek mytholocy, Asclepius was the god of healing. The etymology of
his name is unknown, but it is typical of names from pre-Greek languages.
(According to Wikipedia.) There are various stories connecting Asclepius
to the snake on his staff, but in general, snakes represent wisdom in
Greek mythology.

The caguceus has two snakes, and usually wings. It is often shown held
by Mercury (a messenger deity, thus wings and fast travel). But before
the greeks, it was associated with the Sumarian god Ningishzida which
may mean "Lord of the Good Tree".

You see where I am going with all this?

The snake on the rod isn't directly connected with the Nechash Neshoshes
that Moshe made. But... its Greek sources are all pre-Greek, involve a
snake in a way that makes one think of the Eitz haDaas, and a god that
seems to have a loose association with the Eitz haChaim.

I wouldn't be surprised if the snake in the parashah is the ancestor of
the myths.

Bcc: RAS

--
Micha Berger                 We are great, and our foibles are great,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and therefore our troubles are great --
Author: Widen Your Tent      but our consolations will also be great.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                      - Rabbi AY Kook