[Avodah] It Is Neither Dispositive, Nor A "Xumra"

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Aug 4 12:44:02 PDT 2022

On 4/8/22 14:55, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> This presumes a resolution of a machloqes I intentionally didn't close.
>
> On Shabbos, the mohel can continue trimming off tzitzin she'einam
> me'aqvin until the milah is done. Which si defined as being until the
> end of metzitzah. This leads some acharonim to conclude that metzitzah
> is actually part of the milah AND me'aqev.

If by "me`akev" you mean that without it the child is not circumcised
and the bris must be redone correctly, *nobody* holds that.  Once the
bris has been done, incorrectly, with metzitza omitted, nobody says that
you need to create a wound just to suck blood from it!

The halacha you cite proves that metzitzah is an inherent component of
the mitzvah, but if it was omitted it's too late to correct it.  Me`uvas
lo yuchal liskon.  The child is a mahul, but the mitzvah was not done
correctly.

--
Zev Sero            “Were we directed from Washington when to sow
zev at sero.name       and when to reap, we should soon want bread.”