[Avodah] It Is Neither Dispositive, Nor A "Xumra"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 5 09:23:48 PDT 2022

On Thu, Aug 04, 2022 at 03:44:02PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> If by "me`akev" you mean that without it the child is not circumcised and
> the bris must be redone correctly, *nobody* holds that.  Once the bris has
> been done, incorrectly, with metzitza omitted, nobody says that you need to
> create a wound just to suck blood from it!

I meant, the mitzvah was not fulfilled.

Bedi'eved has two meanings: one refers to the qiyum, and the other to the
chalos. And this discussion made me realized that therefore its antonym,
me'aqev, as well. To explain by using our case as an example:

It is me'aqeiv in the qiyum sense -- you aren't even yotzei bedi'eved. The
chiyuv is left unfulfilled.

But, bedi'eved -- the chalos is qayam, the boy is gemalt.