[Avodah] It Is Neither Dispositive, Nor A "Xumra"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Aug 4 11:55:55 PDT 2022

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 09:10:41PM -0500, Jay F. Shachter via Avodah wrote:
> You are not thinking clearly, because there are more than 2
> possibilities.  Metzitzah (whether that means bfeh or not is a
> different discussion) is not required for milah to be kosher; that
> does not mean, as you imply above, that it is a "xumrah".  It is not a
> xumrah; it is mandatory, lkhatxilla; bdi`avad, if you don't do it, it
> is not m`akkev...

This presumes a resolution of a machloqes I intentionally didn't close.

On Shabbos, the mohel can continue trimming off tzitzin she'einam
me'aqvin until the milah is done. Which si defined as being until the
end of metzitzah. This leads some acharonim to conclude that metzitzah
is actually part of the milah AND me'aqev.

The majority of those who insist on metzitzah bepeh to the extent that
via a pipette isn't even sufficiently bepeh are working from something
other than your assumption.

Yes, it is possible it's obligatory lechatkhilah and not me'aqev, or
obligatory for reasons other than the mitzvah of milah. Or just obsolete
medical advice. But eilu va'eilu.

Micha Berger                 Zion will be redeemed through justice,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   and her returnees, through righteousness.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF