[Avodah] Wedding Attendance During Your Part of Sefira

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 12 12:43:09 PDT 2022

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 01:31:46PM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> The following is from today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis
>
>> Q. My minhag is to maintain the customs of mourning after Lag B'Omer
>> (commonly known as the second half of Sefira). I was invited to a wedding
>> on Lag B'Omer, but the music and dancing will continue after nightfall. Am
>> I permitted to continue to participate in the dancing? Similarly, may
>> I attend a wedding that is scheduled during the latter days of the Sefira?

> A. Rav Moshe Feinstein, zt'l (Igeros Moshe OC 1:159) writes that the
> minhagim of Sefira are overridden by the mitzvah to be misameyach (bring
> joy to) the chasan and kallah....

Not mentioned, but RMF also said you can switch practices by the demands
of the year. So,if you are invited to a wedding for the night after Lag
baOmer, keep the first 33 days that year.

See SA OC 493:2. The Mechber allows haircurring as of the morning of
34 laOmer (as Sepharadim count "la'omer", that's the language in the
Mechaber -- Lag laOmer). Except if Lag laOmer is a Friday, one can go
for a hair cut lekhavod Shabbos.

The Rama says that in our countries (Ashkenazim? Eastern Europe in
particular?) haircuts and small joyous activities are allowed during the
day of Lag BaOmer itself. Tachanun is omitted. But only during the day --
the Maharil explicitly says the night of Lag baOmer is mourned.

Unless one is from Frankfurt (see MB 493:15, quoting Siddur Derekh
haChaim) or Vienna (Be'rei Heiteiv 493:3, quoting the Or Zarua), allowing
a wedding the night of Lag baOmer is recent.

Micha Berger                 Today is the 26th day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   3 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Hod sheb'Netzach: When is domination or taking
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF       control just a way of abandoning one's self?