[Avodah] Repeating during davening

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 7 13:54:25 PST 2021

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 09:16:07PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> I will close by giving some examples to demonstrate how repeating a word or
> phrase can enhance the meaning of a pasuk:
>
> Yeshaya 6:3 might have been "Kadosh Hashem Tz'vakos", but instead it says
> "Kadosh Kadosh Kadosh Hashem Tz'vakos"

But that enhancement isn't emphasis, but says three different
things. Qadosh in heaven, Qadosh on this earth. As per the Targum Yonasan
we say in UVa leTzion.

(BTW, note the parallel in Birkhas Qedushah: Atah Qadosh (in shamayim),
veShimkha Qadosh (here), uqedoshim BEKHOL YOM (time).)

It would require the person repeating words with incredible wisdom and
kavvanah to reproduce that effect. And then your new implication, which
couldn't be said without the repetition, isn't what's in the siddur.

Repeating for emphasis would seem less high of a bar. Even repeating the
same words to have three different kavvanos.

But Qadosh, Qadosh, Qadosh H' Tzevaqos is a different pasuq than had
it said qadosh once. It is making a progression that is fundamental to
knowing what the mal'akhim mean.

Micha Berger                 "Someday I will do it." - is self-deceptive.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   "I want to do it." - is weak.
Author: Widen Your Tent      "I am doing it." - that is the right way.
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                 - Reb Menachem Mendel of Kotzk