[Avodah] Repeating during davening

Michael Poppers michaelpoppers at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 10:04:50 PST 2021

In Avodah V39n100, R'Micha responded:
> I consider one popular tune to the pasuq of Zekhariah said after
Aleinu* particularly Xian <
and RZS responded:
> The dominant avoda zara in this country does exactly that. <
Certainly, there's an issue with messing up a *pasuq*, conceivably singing
"shmo" about each of one's devotional objects to the extent that the
verse's last word is an afterthought; as opposed to when one says a *pasuq*
properly, up to and including "H' echad," and then reiterates, "Echad hu
Eloqeinu."  As for what the "dominant avoda zara" in the US "does," if for
argument's sake we agree w/ RZS's statement, I would ask why a recent
generation sought to be more holy than all the previous generations living
under actual Catholic (or similar) rule for whom the SHaTZ saying "Echad hu
Eloqeinu" was not an issue.