[Avodah] Is it a proper warning, or is it lashon hara?

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Thu Sep 9 08:24:30 PDT 2021

At 06:44 AM 9/9/2021, R Akiva Miller wrote:
>.
>Someone wrote the following: (I will not say who wrote it, nor how they
>know me. It's even possible that I'm the one who wrote it.)
>
> > A rabbi who I know, and who is involved on the highest level
> > with the kashrus for a very large organization, wrote to me
> > the following. He said that he had been in meat plants in [a
> > certain area] and elsewhere, while shechita was done under
> > supervision of [a certain hechsher]. He said, "That hechsher
> > does not really care if the meat is kosher or not."
>
>I'd like to hear from other people. What is your opinion? Does the above
>paragraph constitute a fair and proper warning for people to avoid that
>hechsher, or is it lashon hara? Or might you describe it in some other
>manner?
The first issue to deal with is "Do people thank
that all hashgachas are equally reliable?"  I
think not. For example,  there is a brand of
delicatessen sold nationally that is not glatt
that, as far as I know, no one who is strictly
orthodox will use.  People feel that the
hashgacha is not reliable. Is this loshon
hara?  I think not.  It is merely stating what
most Orthodox Jews consider to be the truth.

On the other hand, many people living in Brooklyn
will buy any product sold in the "kosher
supermarkets"   without paying attention to whose
hashgacha the product has.  Some are careful to
buy products only under certain hashgachas no matter where they are sold.

Many Chassidim will not buy a product that is
only under the OU. They will insist on a heimishe
hashgacha. "The OU is not good enough," they assert. Is this loshon hara?

See Understanding the Reliability of Kosher Agencies at

https://www.crcweb.org/understanding_reliab.php?fbclid=IwAR0OR_1r_o7qyhk7L3bmntRjnnBJWzLHOLlLTd4qryYPJlhpTOi3SXSwTmE

 From there

In order to further clarify this sensitive
subject, the cRc has categorized the kosher
agencies into three groups. The first two groups
are easily explained­recommended and not
recommended. The third group is known as a
“detail” agency. This agency’s products are
accepted on conditions, and they are investigated
on a case-by-case basis to determine if each final product is acceptable.

Is the fact that some kashrus agencies are not
recommended some sort of indirect  loshon hara?  I think not.

Some shuls in Brooklyn will allow only certain
caterers in their shuls.  Is that fact that those
caterers not allowed in their shuls some sort of
indirect loshon hara?  I think not.

Kashrus is a big business and the opportunity to
earn money is always tempting.  Sadly, some
rabbis are more concerned about the money end
than the kashrus end, and the result is
unreliable supervision.   How is the public to
know about these cases unless they are
publicized?   Making such information public is,
IMO, not loshon hara, but a public service.

YL