[Avodah] What is the preferable time to say selichos?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Aug 23 09:23:04 PDT 2021

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 11:18:31AM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
> Most yeshivas do not say the first selichos at about 1 AM.  There is a
> minyan in the YI of Midwood that says the first selichos on Sunday morning
> at 6:30 AM.

> At these minyanim the phrase "BeMotza'ei Menuchah qadamnukha techilah" is
> modified.

Modifying the selichah doesn't change authorial intent. The fact remains
that we accepted into Selichos one that itself says midnight selichos
are preferable. At least the first night.

>> Meanwhile when it comes to selichos, Sepharadim say them the whole month,
>> and it's Ashkenazim who only start at shavua shechal bo.

> My understanding is that the Sefardim say the exact same selichos everyday.
> This is what I was told.

Yes, that's correct. (Although a new tangent atop my tangent.)

Micha Berger                 People were created to be loved.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Things were created to be used.
Author: Widen Your Tent      The reason why the world is in chaos is that
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF    things are being loved, people are being used.