[Avodah] The chiyuv hishtadlus of parents for children

Akiva Miller akivagmiller at gmail.com
Fri May 14 13:45:05 PDT 2021

.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hHXxuQkIrjU/YJvlXCGteoI/AAAAAAACUE0/5ZptYy3hBh82XV0INVJu_3L00VG98TctgCLcBGAsYHQ/s933/ChildSiren.jpg
)
> that parents have no chiyuv to wake up sleeping children when
> the air raid siren goes off and take them to a shelter. His
> reasoning is that going to a shelter is hishtadlus and children
> have no chiyuv hishtadlus.
>
> I don’t understand this at all. If he is right, we shouldn't
> take children to the doctor either, that is also hishtadlus.
> We also wouldn't need to watch that they don't do anything
> dangerous, that is also hishtadlus. Yet, I never heard of
> anyone who doesn't take their children to the doctor when
> they are sick. What am I missing?

Excellent question. Thank you for posting the source, so I could read the
original. So now I have another question:

Could it be that according to Rav Zilberstein, even though the children do
not need to do this hishtadlus for themselves, the parents *do* have to do
this hishtadlus for *them*selves. Therefore, the parents must go to the
shelter, and leave the children at home. Right?

Alternatively: Since the children are patur from hishtadlus, the parents
who watch them are also patur from hishtadlus, just like a husband who
(from what I've seen in various places) can sleep in the house instead of
the sukkah, because that's where his wife is.

Akiva Miller