[Avodah] Tefillos and Segulos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Apr 20 15:12:23 PDT 2021

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 04:51:22PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> The simple answer is we don't know, and our speculation about the reason can
> only be *based on* our opinion on "metaphysical engineering".  We also don't
> know what kishuf is; we don't even know *what* is forbidden, let alone why.

But we do know it's a subset of metaphysical engineering. It may not be
a sufficient condition to put one in the same territory as lechishah,
kishuf and such issurim, but it's a necessary confition. And just from
that alone, the entire notion of working metaphysically must be different
than working scientifically.

(There is also the logistic problem that the line between physics and
metaphysics was not well-defined back before science replaced Natural
Philosophy. So it's hard to read Chazal's words, given how much gray
area they had in their version of the question.)

Micha Berger                 Today is the 23rd day, which is
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   3 weeks and 2 days in/toward the omer.
Author: Widen Your Tent      Gevurah sheb'Netzach: How does my domination
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF                          stifle others?