[Avodah] Tefillos and Segulos

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Apr 15 13:51:22 PDT 2021

On 15/4/21 2:48 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:

> But, some kind of difference between physical and metaphysical engineering
> must exist, or else why would lechishah be assur?

The simple answer is we don't know, and our speculation about the reason
can only be *based on* our opinion on "metaphysical engineering".  We
also don't know what kishuf is; we don't even know *what* is forbidden,
let alone why.  Again, our speculation about the reason can only be
based on our opinion about its nature.  Therefore any attempt to prove
the latter from the former is begging the question.

It seems to me that Chazal did not perceive any difference between what
we would classify as "segulos", "medicine", and "technology".  The
rishonim did see a difference, but most if not all of them didn't think
it was all that significant.  Modern people think the difference is
obvious, but we have Clarke's Third Law to remind us otherwise.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a healthy summer
zev at sero.name