[Avodah] When Should a Rabbi Speak (was Are We Trying To Grow?)

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Thu Apr 15 13:27:33 PDT 2021

I will only respond to part of what Akiva Miller wrote,  because I am
sure that many are now bored with this back and forth.

At 02:55 PM 4/15/2021,R/ Akiva Miller wrote:
About a rabbi that I referred to but did not name.

"I think what you meant was that he raised the level of observance and Torah
learning of SOME OF his baalei batim."

On the contrary, while it is true that those who did not like his
approach left the shul, he eventually attracted a very large
following, much larger than the number of those who left.  To this
day tapes of his talks are listened to by many and are reprinted
in  frum publications. Also, his books are read by many. All
this  despite the fact that he passed in 2001! He is still regarded
as a formidable and influential personality in many Orthodox circles.

>It sounds to me like you would prefer that this rabbi *would* speak about
>such things. Now I'm really confused. If you would prefer shuls that have
>no rabbi and no speeches, then how would these topics be dealt with?

There is nothing confusing.  I am not in favor of a rabbi speaking
DURING davening on Shabbos or Yom Tov  mornings.  However, I am in
favor of a rabbi speaking and writing about important issues during
shiurim or shmusen that are given say a half hour before davening or
in the evening during the week. If this is what a rabbi does,  then
one has the choice of going to listen to him or not, instead of being
a captive audience and being forced to endure a long Shabbos or Yom
Tov morning davening.

This discussion has involved a lot of back and forth.  Let me add
something that a friend of mine used say his father would say about
speaking.  His father would say, "Speaking is like drilling for
oil.  If you do not make a strike  within a few minutes, then stop
boring!" >:-}

And let me add that speeches during davening are a relative new
innovation, and were not welcome by many when introduced.

From

"<https://personal.stevens.edu/~llevine/jp/Architect%20of%20Traditional%20Judaism%20in%20America.pdf>Isaac
Leeser: Architect of Traditional Judaism in America" The Jewish
Press, June 22, 2007, page 1.

Pioneer Preacher

Lesser felt his role as chazzan at Mikveh Israel required more than
simply leading the prayers at services and teaching the congregants'
children. He considered it his obligation to educate his congregants
in a manner that would improve their commitment to Judaism. As a
result, shortly after he assumed his duties as chazzan, he introduced
the then-radical innovation of regularly delivering a sermon during
services on Shabbos morning.

While some appreciated his sermons, most of the congregational
leaders felt that they were not necessary. His preaching was a point
of contention for a long time, and it took thirteen years before the
board of Mikveh Israel formally sanctioned his work as a preacher.

YL