[Avodah] A Question Raised by the Shabbatai Tzvi Movement

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Wed Mar 24 13:31:29 PDT 2021

At 03:30 PM 3/24/2021, Micha Berger wrote:
>Ask R Yonasan Eybshutz and R Yaaqov Emden.
>
>There was a LOT of speaking up and finger pointing by the gedolei
>hador. Didn't help.

There was not a LOT of speaking up and finger pointing by the gedolei
hador.  Jacob Sasportas was the one who had the courage to come out
against the movement.  He was essentially a loan voice.  Others
either went along with the movement or said nothing.

R. Eybeschutz was himself suspected of being a follower of ST. in
fact, I believe that his son outwardly became a follower.  Whether R.
Eybeschutz was indeed a follower was never fully determined.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz

YL