[Avodah] A Question Raised by the Shabbatai Tzvi Movement

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 24 12:30:10 PDT 2021

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 10:39:37AM +0000, Prof. L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> So, I think that one must ask, "Where was Daas Torah when it came to the Shabbatai Movement?

Ask R Yonasan Eybshutz and R Yaaqov Emden.

There was a LOT of speaking up and finger pointing by the gedolei
hador. Didn't help. The thing is, a number of rabbanim fell for him. So,
those who wanted to believe had who to rely on. (Kind of like what
happens with much of "Daas Torah" today, now that it actually is cosidered
"a thing".)

Micha Berger                 Circumstances don't make a person,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   they reveal a person.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF