[Avodah] A Question Raised by the Shabbatai Tzvi Movement

Prof. L. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Mar 24 03:39:37 PDT 2021

The fact it that the Shabbatzi Tzvi movement swept the Jewish world. Many important rabbonim became his followers. For example, see my article

"Recife - The First Jewish Community in the New World<http://www.jewishpress.com/sections/magazine/glimpses-ajh/recife-the-first-jewish-community-in-the-new-world/2005/06/01/>" The Jewish Press, June 3, 2005, page 32. Glimpses into American Jewish History Part 3.

The concluding paragraph there is

*After finishing this article I discovered that Rabbi Isaac Aboab da Fonseca was apparently a follower of Shabbtai Tzvi. (See www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view. jsp?artid=344&letter=A#810, The Sabbatean Prophets by Matt Goldish page 33, and Sabbatai Sevi by Gershom Scholem, pages 520-522.) To put it mildly, I was shocked, given the greatness of Rabbi Aboab. However, it made me realize how strong the messianic movement in the 17th century must have been to gain adherents of Rabbi Aboab`s caliber.

Jacob Sasportas  was one of the most violent antagonists of the Shabbethaian movement; he wrote many letters to various communities in Europe, Asia, and Africa, exhorting them to unmask the impostors and to warn the people against them. However,  I do not believe that he was considered a gadol by many.

So, I think that one must ask, "Where was Daas Torah when it came to the Shabbatai Movement?

YL