[Avodah] R. Eybeschutz and ST

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Wed Mar 24 17:10:47 PDT 2021

At 06:24 PM 3/24/2021, micha at aishdas.org wrote:
>I grew up living around the corner from the home of R SZ Leiman. He davened
>(davens?) in the shteibl where my father sheyichyeh was president. I kind of
>heard this story before, in a lot more detail. Which is why my post got
>written to begin with.
>
>You are mistaken. The RYE vs RYE fight was one of many.

Keep in mind that Rabbi Eybeschutz was born in
1690,  long after Shabbatai Tzvi converted to
Islam. Indeed ST died in 1676. Hence he could not
have been involved in any discussion about ST
being Moshiach when ST was alive.  Rabbi Yaakov
Emden was born in 1697, so he also could not have
been involved in any discussions about ST being Moshiach when ST was alive.

The following is from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz

Already in Prague 1724, he was suspected of being
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatean>Sabbatean.
He even got up on
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur>Yom
Kippur to denounce the Sabbatean movement, but he
remained
suspected.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-ReferenceA-2>[2]
Therefore, In 1736, Rav Eybeschutz was only
appointed
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayan_(rabbinic_judge)>dayan
of Prague and not chief rabbi. He became rabbi of
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metz>Metz in 1741.
In 1750, he was elected rabbi of the "Three
Communities:"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altona,_Hamburg>Altona,
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg>Hamburg,
and <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandsbek>Wandsbek.

In July 1725, the Ashkenazic beit din of
Amsterdam issued a ban of excommunication on the
entire Sabbatian sect (kat ha-ma’aminim).
Writings of Sabbatian nature found by the beit
Din at that time were attributed to Rav
Eybeschutz
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-3>[3]
In early September, similar excommunication
proclamations were issued by the batei din of
Frankfurt and the triple community of Altona,
Hamburg, and Wandsbeck. The three bans were
printed and circulated in other Jewish
communities throughout
Europe.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-4>[4]
Rabbi Ezekiel Katzenellenbogen, the chief rabbi
of the Triple Community
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-5>[5]
was unwilling to attack Rav Eybeschütz publicly,
mentioning that ‘greater than him have fallen and
crumbled’ and that ‘there is nothing we can do to
him’
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-6>[6]
However, Rabbi Katzenelenbogen stated that one of
the texts found by the Amsterdam beit din "Va-Avo
ha-Yom el ha-Ayyin” was authored by Rav Jonathan
Eybeschütz and declared that the all copies of
the work that were in circulation should be
immediately burned.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-7>[7]As
a result of Rav Eybeschutz and other rabbis in
Prague formulating a new (and different) ban
against Sabbatianism shortly after the other bans
were published, his reputation was restored and
Rav Eybeschutz was regarded as having been
totally
vindicated.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-8>[8]
The issue was to arise again, albeit
tangentially, in the 1751 dispute between Rav Emden and Rav Eybeschutz.

Sabbatian controversy

Rav Eybeschütz again became suspected of
harboring secret Sabbatean beliefs because of a
dispute that arose concerning the
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amulet>amulets
which he was suspected of issuing. It was alleged
that these amulets recognized the Messianic
claims of
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatai_Zevi>Sabbatai
Zevi.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-EB1911-9>[9]
The controversy started when Rav Yaakov Emden
found serious connections between the Kabbalistic
and homiletic writings of Rav Eybeschutz with
those of the known Sabbatean
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judah_Leib_Prossnitz>Judah
Leib Prossnitz, whom Rav Eybeschütz knew from his
days in
Prossnitz.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-ReferenceA-2>[2]
Rabbi
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Emden>Jacob
Emden accused him of
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heresy>heresy.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-EB1911-9>[9]
The majority of the rabbis in Poland, Moravia,
and Bohemia, as well as the leaders of the Three
Communities supported Rav Eybeschütz: the
accusation was "utterly incredible"­in 1725, Rav
Eybeschütz was among the Prague rabbis who
excommunicated the
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbatean>Sabbateans.
Others suggest that the Rabbis issued this ruling
because they feared the repercussions if their
leading figure, Rav Eybeschütz, was found to be a
Sabbatean. Rabbi Jacob Emden suggests that the
rabbis decided against attacking Eybeschutz out
of a reluctance to offend his powerful family and
a fear of rich supporters of his living in their
communities
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-10>[10]
The recent discovery of notarial copies of the
actual amulets found in Metz and copying the
amulets written by Rav Eyebeschutz support Rav
Emden's view that these are Sabbatean
writings.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-11>[11]

In 1752, the controversy between Rav Emden and
Rav Eybeschütz raged.Clashes between opposing
supporters occurred in the streets drawing the
attention of the secular
authorities.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-12>[12]
Rav Emden fled. The controversy was heard by both
the Senate of Hamburg and by the Royal Court of
Denmark. The Hamburg Senate quickly found in
favour of Rav
Eybeschutz.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-13>[13]
The King of Denmark asked Rav Eybeschutz to
answer a number of questions about the
amulets.Conflicting testimony was put forward and
the matter remained officially
unresolved<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-14>[14]
although the court imposed fines on both parties
for civil unrest and ordered that Rav Emden be
allowed to return to
Altona.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-15>[15]
At this point Rav Eybeschutz was defended by Carl
Anton, a convert to Christianity, but a former
disciple of Rav
Eybeschütz.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-16>[16]
Rav Emden refused to accept the outcome and sent
out vicious pamphlets attacking Rav
Eybeschutz.<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Eybeschutz#cite_note-17>[17]
Rav Eyebeschutz was re-elected as Chief Rabbi. In
December of that year, the Hamburg Senate
rejected both the King's decision and the
election result. The Senate of Hamburg started an
intricate process to determine the powers of Rav
Eybeschütz, and many members of that congregation
demanded that he should submit his case to rabbinical authorities.