[Avodah] What beracha does one recite on coffee and tea?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Feb 7 14:25:16 PST 2021

On Sat, Feb 06, 2021 at 08:45:42PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>> https://www.sefaria.org/Sha'arei_Teshuvah_on_Shulchan_Arukh%2C_Orach_Chayim.202.19
>
> Edible chocolate was invented around 1800, and did not exist in the Shaarei
> Teshuva's day...

We started by talking about coffee and tea. I am not sure how the
distinction you are making is relevant. In either case, hard chocolate,
liquid chocolate, or original case of coffee are being consumed in their
usual way, which is quite different than the form they had in nature.

As I see it, if cacao is shehakol in the ST's day, the same would be true
of a chocolate bar in ours. Both are the usual form of consumption for the
respective times. (If anything, the bar is MORE processed than the drink.)

Micha Berger                 The trick is learning to be passionate in one's
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   ideals, but compassionate to one's peers.
Author: Widen Your Tent
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF