[Avodah] What beracha does one recite on coffee and tea?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Mon Feb 8 06:39:13 PST 2021

On 7/2/21 5:25 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 06, 2021 at 08:45:42PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>>> https://www.sefaria.org/Sha'arei_Teshuvah_on_Shulchan_Arukh%2C_Orach_Chayim.202.19
>> Edible chocolate was invented around 1800, and did not exist in the Shaarei
>> Teshuva's day...

> We started by talking about coffee and tea. I am not sure how the
> distinction you are making is relevant. In either case, hard chocolate,
> liquid chocolate, or original case of coffee are being consumed in their
> usual way, which is quite different than the form they had in nature.

There is a fundamental difference between food and drink, which is the
entire basis of those who say shehakol on tea, coffee, or hot chocolate.
In the case of tea and coffee there is deemed to be no substance of the
leaf/berry in the water. In the case of chocolate the sevara given to
say shehakol is the analogy to the gemara's "shesisa".  Shesisa, even if
it is merely a thick liquid, is mezonos; kol shekein if it's solid.  The
same should be true of chocolate.  How processed it is should be
irrelevant, since this is the normal way the fruit is eaten, just like
ginger.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end