[Avodah] What beracha does one recite on coffee and tea?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Sat Feb 6 17:45:42 PST 2021

On 6/2/21 7:29 pm, Micha Berger wrote:
> Take a look at Sha'arei Teshuvah OC 202:19, who gives his sources.
> https://www.sefaria.org/Sha'arei_Teshuvah_on_Shulchan_Arukh%2C_Orach_Chayim.202.19

Edible chocolate was invented around 1800, and did not exist in the
Shaarei Teshuva's day.  He, like his source the Divrei Yosef (R Yosef
Ergas, 1685-1730), as well as the Pri Chadash on the question of bishul
akum and other acharonim, were all referring to hot chocolate, which was
the only kind that existed in their day.  Hot chocolate is a closer
question than tea or coffee, because the cocoa itself is drunk and not
removed.  But Divrei Yosef compares it to Shesisa, a drink made with
flour, which the gemara says is mezonos if it's thick but shehakol if
it's the consistency of a drink, even though the flour is in it and not
removed.

> Teshuvos veHanhagos 1:187 says that since cacao wouldn't be eaten without
> all those other ingrediants that make it chocolate, it's a shehakol.

Actually that is not his sevara, but one he quotes from the Minchas
Shlomo as a suggestion, but that the Minchas Shlomo himself questions
since it's a clear halacha that ground ginger mixed with sugar is
ha'adama (it says ha'etz but that must be a typo), since ginger cannot
be eaten on its own.

Aderaba, that is the greatest argument for it being ha'etz, since that
is not just the ikar way to eat the fruit but the only way.  Even if the
sugar is the majority, it comes only to make the fruit edible, so it's
batel to it.

His own sevara for shehakol is that the taste of the sugar and other
ingredients is the ikar, and not that of the chocolate at all!  But it
seems to me that anyone who eats chocolate will testify that it's not
so.  It's not chocolate-flavored sugar, it's sugar-flavored chocolate,
even when the chocolate is less than 50%, kol shekein in those bars that
boast on the label of being 55% or 70% or 90% cocoa solids.

By the way, he quotes Pachad Yitzchak quoting Yad Malachi, a talmid of R
Yosef Ergas, who paskens (unlike his rebbe) to say Ha'eitz on hot chocolate!

> RMF seems to assume the berakhah is a shehakol.

That's just it.  He doesn't consider the question and pasken on it.  He
just assumes it.  Who knows whether when he wrote that he had any idea
what chocolate is.

That's my contention about why the worlds says shehakol; they just don't
know what it is, or else they're relying on their predecessors who
didn't know what it was.  None of them considered it.  They came to
America and found it there in the stores, and assumed it was just
another kind of candy, and thus subsumed into the question of sugar,
which we pasken is shehakol.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end