[Avodah] What beracha does one recite on coffee and tea?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sat Feb 6 16:29:02 PST 2021

On Thu, Feb 04, 2021 at 08:26:49PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
>> I know people in YU circles who make ha'eitz on chocolate for the parallel
>> reason. R SZ Auerback (Minchas Shelomo vol I 92:1) rules ha'eitz.

> I say ha'eitz on chocolate, and have never seen any legitimate source for
> saying shehakol...

Take a look at Sha'arei Teshuvah OC 202:19, who gives his sources.
https://www.sefaria.org/Sha'arei_Teshuvah_on_Shulchan_Arukh%2C_Orach_Chayim.202.19

Teshuvos veHanhagos 1:187 says that since cacao wouldn't be eaten without
all those other ingrediants that make it chocolate, it's a shehakol.

RMF seems to assume the berakhah is a shehakol. And that when eating
chocolate covered raisins or nuts, both are primary. But concludes that
you should make the ha'eitz or ha'adamah on something else first and then
the shehakol on the chocolate. (IM OC 3:31) That does imply the chocolate
alone would be shehakol, no? (I don't know, maybe he discusses the case
of chocolate directly. I can only report on what Bar Ilan helped me find.)

Gut Voch!

Micha Berger                 Life isn't about finding yourself.
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   Life is about creating yourself.
Author: Widen Your Tent               - George Bernard Shaw
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF