[Avodah] What beracha does one recite on coffee and tea?

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Thu Feb 4 17:26:49 PST 2021

On 4/2/21 2:46 pm, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> I know people in YU circles who make ha'eitz on chocolate for the parallel
> reason. R SZ Auerback (Minchas Shelomo vol I 92:1) rules ha'eitz.

I say ha'eitz on chocolate, and have never seen any legitimate source
for saying shehakol.  To the best of my understanding it's simply an
amhoratzus that started because people didn't know what it was.
Remember that edible chocolate was only invented around 1800, so most
poskim never heard of it.

But the issue is very different from that of tea and coffee.  The poskim
did know what those are, and said they are shehakol because the leaves
and beans are discarded and not consumed at all.  That's why I was
surprised to read an opinion that they are subject to bishul akum.
That's obviously not the case with chocolate.

--
Zev Sero            Wishing everyone a *healthy* and happy 5781
zev at sero.name       "May this year and its curses end