[Avodah] OU Dairy and Vegan Ice Cream

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 11:04:43 PDT 2020

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 12:46 PM Prof. Levine via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> This email shows that one cannot rely on the list of ingredients on the
> label of a product to determine its kosher status.

Without disagreeing with that conclusion, how does the email show it? It
shows what the OU *does*, not what one can or cannot do.

I remember once buying a sorbet ice imported from the USA in a supermarket
in Israel. It was marked OU-D and also had a "kosher parve" stamp from an
Israeli BD. I asked the supermarket mashgiach and he said there was no
problem eating it after meat.