[Avodah] OU Dairy and Vegan Ice Cream

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Sun Oct 18 07:25:25 PDT 2020

 From the OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

Q. I bought a tub of vegan ?ice cream?. It is certified OU-D. I know
that OUD can either mean that the product contains actual dairy
ingredients, or it was made on dairy equipment (this is commonly
referred to as DE). If it contains actual dairy, it may not be
consumed after meat, while DE products can be eaten after meat but
not with meat. I contacted the OU and was told that this tub of ice
cream must be treated as actual dairy. How can there be dairy
ingredients in the ice cream if it is labeled vegan?

A. This particular vegan ice cream is labeled OUD because the flavor
is certified dairy by the supervising agency. Apparently, the vegan
company assumes that this flavor is DE and not actual dairy.
Nonetheless, it is extremely difficult to make this determination
because there are many layers to a flavor. A typical flavor is
compounded from many ingredients. Some of the ingredients may be
other flavors that are also made from multiple ingredients, some of
which might also be flavors. An added element of complexity is that
the various flavor components may be manufactured by multiple
vendors, and each company may have a different hashgacha. When
flavors are certified as dairy, the OU often finds it nearly
impossible to track down every sub-ingredient and establish whether
they are real dairy or DE. For sake of simplicity and because of the
uncertainty, the OU tells consumers to treat the product as real
dairy. In the case of the vegan ice cream, perhaps the manufacturer
checked all the sub-ingredients and determined that they were DE and
worthy of a vegan status, but it is possible that the investigation
was not thorough and their decision to treat the ice cream as vegan
was based on assumptions. Because the investigative process is so
difficult, the OU would not rely on the evaluation of the vegan
company without independent verification, which we are unable to do.
For these reasons, we consider the item to be real dairy.

This email shows that one cannot rely on the list of ingredients on
the label of a product to determine its kosher status.

YL