[Avodah] Le'ilui Nishmas an Infant

Zvi Lampel zvilampel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:08:40 PST 2020

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 11:12 AM Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> ... Your place in Neshoma-Land is defined by your actions down here...is
> murach from statements like the Iqarim (4:33) saying that
> geihinom's fires are those of shame. Or that Rabbeinu Yonah (Shaarei
> Teshuvah 4:1) compares oneshim to illness -- aveiros cause spiritual
> illness which has symptoms.
>
> RCVolozhiner (Derekh haChaim 1:21) says that onesh is causal based on
> Eiruvin 19a "'emeiq' - shema'amiqin lahen geihinom" -- the sinner is
> called "eimeq" because they deepen geihinom for themselves.
>
> All of which argue against R' Zvi Lampel (haBaal haDynamics) the idea
> that zekhus or lack thereof can be a fungible.
>
> As does just our basic instincts of fairness.

I agree. My suggestion would only be a valid opposing shittah if a mekor in
Chazal/Rishonim for it would be found. (Or if minhag Yisrael would be a
valid mekor...uh oh, getting into that bnei niviim thing...)

> So, to get back to RDS's difficulty:

> A person's place in the olam ha'emes is indeed defined by their actions
> down there. ... he is getting the zekhus
> of raising a child who would say Qaddish.

> And in my earlier example of Re'uvein who was meqareiv Shim'on. Re'uvein's
> feelings attitudes and actions are the same whether it later turns
> out that Shim'on is r"l infertile or raises generations of shomerei
> Torah uMitzvos. And so, I would think that even if those children never
> materialize, Re'uvein's sekhar would be the same. ...

But your original problem,

 I really don't know what le'ilui nishmas means when speaking of a nifteres

who only lived 11 weeks,...

will still remain unsolved, no?

Zvi Lampel