[Avodah] Le'ilui Nishmas an Infant

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Dec 22 10:39:22 PST 2020

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 01:08:40PM -0500, Zvi Lampel wrote:
> But your original problem,
>> I really don't know what le'ilui nishmas means when speaking of a nifteres
>> who only lived 11 weeks,...
>> will still remain unsolved, no?

Yes. But we're talking about how the RBSO could be Just. I would prefer
getting to a point of "I really don't know" than embracing theories
that don't seem fair. It's theology. "I don't know" is a perfectly fine
answer; we shouldn't insist we /can/ understand it all and settle for
compromises.

Maaseh Bereishis vs science as well. I've grown to be happier with an
"I don't know", or maybe even the Moreh's "we can't know" than a lot of
the suggestions that get published.

It is gaavah on the part of our era to think that we've finally gotten
to the emes of how the world works, and the time has come for humanity
to answer all the open questions.