[Avodah] birchat hanehenin

Rich, Joel JRich at Segalco.com
Tue Aug 18 05:43:47 PDT 2020

וּמִכָּל מָקוֹם אִם מִתְחָרֵט וְאֵינוֹ רוֹצֶה לְהִתְעַנּוֹת, רַשַּׁאי,
כֵּיוָן שֶׁלֹּא קִבֵּל עָלָיו בְּפֵרוּשׁ וְלֹא הוֹצִיא בְּפִיו שֶׁהוּא
רוֹצֶה לְהִתְעַנּוֹת

"Nevertheless, if you change your mind, and do not wish to fast, you
may [eat], since you did not expressly commit yourself."

This last line is - in my mind - parallel to your query.

Seems that answering Amen - even with intention - is one way of
getting the best of both worlds.
When I learned this with my chavruta a few months back my comment was - I'd love to understand why there seem to be 3 statuses - machshava balma (random thought?) which has no halachic significance, amira (specific oral articulation) which is completely binding and amen/specific machshava(really imho 2 separate items) which are somewhat indeterminate (not welcome in a brisker world?)
KT
Joel Rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.