[Avodah] birchat hanehenin

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Aug 18 17:51:37 PDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 02:55:45PM +0300, Danny Schoemann wrote:
> I would compare it to the Kitzur in 127:3...
>     "Similarly, regarding the fasts on Monday, Thursday and Monday
>     following Pesach and Sukkos. If you answer Amein after the Mi
>     shebeirach ... and you intended to fast, this is sufficient...
>     "Nevertheless, if you change your mind, and do not wish to fast, you
>     may [eat], since you did not expressly commit yourself."

> This last line is -- in my mind -- parallel to your query.

> Seems that answering Amen -- even with intention -- is one way of
> getting the best of both worlds.

I think the best of both worlds may only because you said amein to blessing
the fasters, and not "me too" to someone's pledge to fast. There is mental
acceptance during a related verbal act. Not a verbal acceptance.

Micha Berger                 Education is not the filling of a bucket,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but the lighting of a fire.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - W.B. Yeats
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF