[Avodah] Subject: Re: zoom minyan

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 20 11:26:55 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 10:59:57AM +0300, Danny Schoemann via Avodah wrote:
> In Hil. Tzitzis 3:9 the Rambam says that women don't make a brocho on a Tallis.
>
> In [30] the Hag. Maimoniyos brings an interesting concept "in the name
> of a Gadol": Those Mitzvos which can cause an Aveiro, women don't do.
> E.g. Tefillin could cause "Erva" issues with her exposed hair, Shofar
> could cause carrying in a public domain.

In general, the Rambam doesn't have women making berakhos on mitzvos
that they are einum metzuvos ve'osos. Which Sepharadim hold today. To
the extent that ROYosef's nusach doesn't have women saying sheim Hashem
in birkhos Qeri'as Shema!

So, I'm not sure why the HM needs to invoke the risk of an aveirah. Lo
zakhisi lehavin.

And more to our point, the lack of berakhah doesn't seem to me to prove
the mitzvah itself should be avoided because it means some risk exists.

Micha Berger                 Education is not the filling of a bucket,
http://www.aishdas.org/asp   but the lighting of a fire.
Author: Widen Your Tent                   - W.B. Yeats
- https://amzn.to/2JRxnDF