[Avodah] Induction stovetop halachic status

Simon Montagu simon.montagu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 03:43:44 PDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 3:00 PM Zev Sero via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org>
wrote:

> But the Ramo, 113:13, explicitly says that only cooking on fire was
> forbidden.  So at least for Ashkenazim this whole issue should not
> exist.  Someone should inform this restaurateur, and/or the Rabbanut.

I don't think this is what the Ramo means. The context is that smoking and
pickling are not considered BA, and I think when he says "bishul shel esh"
it includes any form of cooking by heat. Otherwise cooking with an electric
hob or deep-fryer wouldn't be BA either.

That said, I really don't understand why BA is an issue at all in a
Jewish-owned restaurant with kosher supervision. None of the reasons for
the gezeira seem to apply. Even for Sephardim, since the SA is meikel in
seif 4 in the case of servants in a beit yisrael.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>