[Avodah] Paying your workers on time using electronic payments

Marty Bluke marty.bluke at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 11:16:32 PDT 2019

On Monday, June 24, 2019, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 08:44:51PM +0300, Marty Bluke wrote:
> :> So I would think that if your vender has a card reader, there is
> :> no problem paying by card.
>
> : I thought I made that clear.  You definitely don’t violate the lav. The
> : question  im asking is how can you be mekayem the aseh.
>
> This asei is a chiyuv, not a mitzvah qiyumis. You can't just skip out
> on fulfilling the asei.
>
> You aren’t skipping out. You are creating a situation where there is no
chiyuv aseh either.

Which is why it's hard to believe that all that discussion is of which
> cases are oveir "only" the asei. Even if the mention only mentions bal
> talin. How could it write "if you do X, or Y, or Z, or... you aren't
> over bal talin" without not mentioning in in any of those se'ifim that
> you're still not allowed to do any of these things anyway?
>
> My understanding is that the aseh and lav go together. Whenever there
would be an issur of bal talin there is also an aseh of byomo teeten
scharo. However, if you create a situation where the lav does not apply by
for example sending the workers to the chenvani then the aseh likewise
doesn’t apply.

My point was that by paying with a credit card you are creating a situation
where you will not be mekayem the mitzva. There is no aveira/issur to do
that, it’s just that we should want to be mekayem as many mitzva as we can
especially mitzvos doraysa which there aren’t so many of.

Tir'u baTov!