[Avodah] The Last Nochri Who Owned The Milk

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sat Jan 26 20:33:31 PST 2019

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 08:01:39PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: On 16/1/19 7:53 am, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:>I do see that RZS pointed to "the end of the long teshuvah", but there
:>are*several*  long teshuvos in the Igros Moshe about chalav yisrael.
:>Can someone please show me more precisely where RMF writes these
:>things?

: The series dealing with this issue, and gradually laying out RMF's
: unique shita, is YD2 46-49.   But the real meat of the whole thing
: the lomdus that demonstrates what he believes is going on here, is
: #49.  One can't understand or intelligently discuss his shita
: without it.

I didn't read the IM that way. You're pointing to his discussion of cheese
and butter, and why they don't need to be made of chalav yisrael; wouldn't
the milk had been assur already before it was turned into something else?

So he answers that the issur of chalav aku"m isn't chal until it is
owned by a Jew.

Not that the necessary re'iyah, or as RMF would put it, "re'iyah"
(in quotes), applies at any time after milking.

IOW, RMF's shitah appears to be that milk that was not observed during
milking isn't assur until owned by a Jew. And therefore, if turned into
something else before a Jew acquires it, no issur would be chal.

Gut Voch!

Micha Berger             "I hear, then I forget; I see, then I remember;
micha at aishdas.org        I do, then I understand." - Confucius
http://www.aishdas.org   "Hearing doesn't compare to seeing." - Mechilta
Fax: (270) 514-1507      "We will do and we will listen." - Israelites