[Avodah] Eating on Yom Kippur

Ben Bradley bdbradley70 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 15 13:53:51 PDT 2018

'The Kaf haChaim 618:1 says that only where the was a cheshash to
begin with, we can use the choleh's determination which way to go on
the cheshash.'

: Bottom line question: Is it really the case that someone is only a choleh
: in halacha when their doctor says so?

'As you see, no. But again, the KhC would say you need the doctor to say
the guy isn't just being a hypocondriac, that there is /some/ cheshash
he is basing his fear on. Even if the fear isn't realistic.'

Thanks for noticing the deliberate mistake and correcting to OC 618:1 not 518.
>From the KhC as you quote him it seems that in fact he is saying that you need the dr to say that there is some chashash, just that it doesn't get to  safek pikuach nefesh level, before he can eat by his own estimation. To all intents and purposes that does mean he's only a choleh when the dr says so, at least as regards eating on YK.
WRT Shabbos, there's no such issue AFAIK. A status of choleh kol gufo, choleh bmiktzas, michush b'alma are all determined by the patient and his symptoms. Medical opinion is only needed when there's a doubt as to whether there's a pikuach nefesh issue which would require chilul shabbos.

Back to the KhC, in practice it's hard to think when you would have a real chashash which doesn't reach safek pikuach nefesh level. Usually if there's a real chashash that's already the kind of safek which would make it hard to say it's mutar to fast. And if there's no chashash then how is he a choleh?
So still having difficulty fitting the criteria of this halacha, as per KhC, into any modern medical scenario.