[Avodah] Eating on Yom Kippur

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Sep 14 12:16:38 PDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 09:03:45PM +0000, Ben Bradley via Avodah wrote:
: That seems to means that the halacha in OC [6]18:1 is no longer applicable,
: if my interlocutors are correct.
:
: Modern medical theory does however recognise that when someone says they
: are ill, then that needs to be taken at face value...

Halakhah too. We require the choleh eat if the choleh OR the doctor
say he needs to, even when they disagree. "And if the choleh says,
'I must', even when 100 doctors say he doesn't have to, we listen
to the choleh."

The Kaf haChaim 618:1 says that only where the was a cheshash to
begin with, we can use the choleh's determination which way to go on
the cheshash.

: Bottom line question: Is it really the case that someone is only a choleh
: in halacha when their doctor says so?

As you see, no. But again, the KhC would say you need the doctor to say
the guy isn't just being a hypocondriac, that there is /some/ cheshash
he is basing his fear on. Even if the fear isn't realistic.

GCT and :-)@@ii!

Micha Berger             Life is a stage and we are the actors,
micha at aishdas.org        but only some of us have the script.
http://www.aishdas.org               - Rav Menachem Nissel
Fax: (270) 514-1507