[Avodah] Who is an considered an am ha'aretz

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Wed Sep 5 05:51:46 PDT 2018

At 04:40 PM 9/4/2018, Micha Berger wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 04, 2018 at 12:32:17PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via
>Avodah wrote:
>: The following is from pages 567 -- 568 of the sefer Rav Schwab on Chumash.
>
>:> Judaism without Torah is "just another religion," and is not in consonance
>:> with the will of G-d. Ritual is common to all religions; the unique
>:> quality of Yiddishkeit is the special relationship with Hashem that a
>:> Jew achieves only through Torah study.
>
>It would appear that R Schwab does not take "Judaism is not a religion" as
>literally as you do. After all, he describes it here as a religion, if
>one with a unique quality.

You have reached an incorrect conclusion regarding Rav Schwab's
views  regarding RSRH's brilliant assertion that Judaism is not a
religion,  which, by the way, Rav Hirsch makes in a number of places
in his writings.

The sefer Rav Schwab on Chumash was written by one of his son's ,
Rabbi Myer J. Schwab.  In the Forward to the book it says,
"Approximately forty percent of the divrei Torah in the Ma'ayin Beis
Hasho'evah has been adapted and included in this sefer. Some of
the  pieces have retained their original format, and some have been
reformulated.  In a number of cases, the lessons are totally new, and
others may differ from the Hebrew text, based upon the way I
heard  and understood them directly from my father, zt"l."

The paragraph you quoted  is not taken directly from the writings of
Rav Schwab, which is the case for the rest of what I posted.  Thus,
it is faulty for you  to conclude that "It would appear that R Schwab
does not take 'Judaism is not a religion' as literally as you do."

Furthermore,  I could assert logically that the statement Judaism
without Torah is just another religion does not imply that Judaism
with Torah is a religion!

I am certain that Rav Schwab agreed totally with RSRH's brilliant
insight that Judaism is not a religion.

Indeed, it is most important that all of us realize that Judaism is
not a religion and why this is so.

YL