[Avodah] Who is an considered an am ha'aretz

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Tue Sep 4 14:49:52 PDT 2018

On 04/09/18 17:09, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:

> I found another usage -- Ezra 4:4:
>     Then the am haaretz undeminded the resolve of Am Yehudah, and made
>     them afraid to build.
>
> ... bayis sheini.
>
> Rashi defines "am haaretz" there as "tzarei Yehudah uVinyamin".

AFAIK throughout Tanach the term "am ha'aretz" means literally "the
people of the land", and is completely unrelated to the usage we're
discussing.  It's not a pejorative, it's just descriptive.

In this case Rashi is simply explaining who these "people of the land"
were, that even then the recently-arrived inhabitants identified as
"indigenous Palestinians" and resisted the return of the true am ha'aretz.

--
Zev Sero            A prosperous and healthy 5779 to all
zev at sero.name       Seek Jerusalem's peace; may all who love you prosper