[Avodah] Looking for location of a Raavad that RSRH refers to

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 20 14:17:06 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 01:32:26PM +0000, Gershon Seif via Avodah wrote:
: Would anyone here know where I can find the Raavad that RSRH refers to
: here? https://tinyurl.com/ycb2fuxdAs

We don't have the Raavad the Kesef Mishnah quotes. But the secondary
sources I found who quote the KM tend to assume that it's a lost raavad
ad loc, Yesodei haTorah 1:10. Someone (unfortunately, I lost whom before
I gave up the search for the Raavad) pointed to the lack of mar'eh maqom
in the KM as indication that none was needed because it is supposed to
be right there.

: 2) Hirsch writes that in that particular series of pesukim (about Hashem's
: decision to bring about the mabul) we are taught about man's free will as
: well as Hashem unchanging free will, and how the two work with each other.

I don't know what "free will" means when everything is obvious and the
One about Whom we are speaking is lemaalah min hazman. Either issue
alone make the concept of "choice" hasrd to apply. The question of free
will even among mal'akhim raises the question of whether they had enough
clarity for any potential free will to never get utilized.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507