[Avodah] melucha

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Thu May 10 12:43:38 PDT 2018

RMB:

> The claim of this version of DT is that just as today's rabbanim took
> over WRT pesaq, they also inherited the role of filling in for melekh.

The melech’s commands are binding, and he has an obligation to give
commands as needed.  Hence this opinion implies that Rabbis should be telling us
what to do in non-halachic contexts, and we should do as they say.

I already raised the objection of R Akiva’s advice to his son; RZS’s response is
conceptually clean, but (a) it doesn’t fit the words of the text, and (b) according to
you it is internally contradictory - - if the rabbis who run the city have a din melech
how can they be supervised by others?

There’s also the sugya of b'nei ha'ir kofin zeh et zeh ….  Naively the authority of the
kehilla comes from din melech, but then why b'nei ha'ir, why not the town rabbi?

David Riceman