[Avodah] melucha

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu May 10 09:08:29 PDT 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 10:51:16AM -0400, David Riceman via Avodah wrote:
: The claim that "da'as Torah" is derived from din melech is precisely the
: claim that learning Torah all day does produce authoritative expertise
: in other fields...

That's NOT the way I understood R' Dovid [haLevi] Cohen at all.

We want a melekh, separate from the beis din hagadol. Although one person
can be in both roles, like when Chazal refer to "Shelomo uveis dino."
However, ba'avoseinu harabbim we lost the melukhah. The obligation of
obeying the melekh devolved into obeyind the Sanhedrin. (This would have
to have been some time between Gedaliah and Ezra, inclusive.)

Obeying the melekh wasn't based on the melekh's comptenecy, but the
need for order in running a society. (And, I guess some reason(s) why
HQBH advised monarchy in particular as the means of getting that order,
except according to some readings of RAYK. But RAYK didn't hold of the
shitah we're looking at, so ein kan hamaqom leha'rikh.)

Then, we lost the Sanhedrin. Today's rabbanim fill in -- either as their
shelichim, or <pick your favorite model here>.

The claim of this version of DT is that just as today's rabbanim took
over WRT pesaq, they also inherited the role of filling in for melekh.

And just as the melekh might not be the expert across all of society,
the Sanhedrin or today's rabbanim might not be.

micha at aishdas.org        5 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Yesod: When does
Fax: (270) 514-1507      reliability/self-control mean submitting to others?