[Avodah] Tefilin On Chol hamoed In Eretz Yisroel (and Flatbush)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 30 05:52:17 PDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 05:32:39PM -0400, Prof. Levine wrote:
: I recall hearing a talk by Rabbi Shlomo Hamburger where he insisted
: that there is no minhag ha Makom in EY.  He said within 10 blocks of
: here there are many shuls davening many different Nuschos.  Hence
: there is no minhag ha Makom in EY.

Is that a common interperation of minhag hamaqom -- that there be
a common practice in all things? I understood minhag hamaqom to
be designated practive by practice.

On the topic of tefillin on ch"m, there is enough consensus in EY
not to wear tham, that for this one topic there is a minhag hamaqom.

For other things? Give it time. How long did it take Jews from Provence,
Italy and elsewhere to congeal into a single minhag Ashkenaz?

:-)|,|ii!

Micha Berger             With the "Echad" of the Shema, the Jew crowns
micha at aishdas.org        G-d as King of the entire cosmos and all four
http://www.aishdas.org   corners of the world, but sometimes he forgets
Fax: (270) 514-1507      to include himself.     - Rav Yisrael Salanter