[Avodah] Tefilin On Chol hamoed In Eretz Yisroel (and Flatbush)

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Fri Mar 30 08:31:27 PDT 2018

At 08:52 AM 3/30/2018, you wrote:
>Is that a common interperation of minhag hamaqom -- that there be
>a common practice in all things? I understood minhag hamaqom to
>be designated practive by practice.

Otherwise the concept of Minhag Ha Makom is
meaningless.  In Europe before the advent of
Chassidus each  community had its own distinct
practices and there was indeed a Minhag Ha
Makom.  My understanding is that in Syria the
Aleppo and Damascus communities had there own
minhagim (different) minhagim.  To me minhag ha
makom means that all of the people have the same
minhagim.  In America I believe you have this in New Square.

>On the topic of tefillin on ch"m, there is enough consensus in EY
>not to wear tham, that for this one topic there is a minhag hamaqom.

This is changing. From https://goo.gl/1PYXP4

Many people wear tefillin on chol hamoed in Eretz
Yisroel, including some gedolim. However, some do
it betzinoh so it is not so well known.

One such godol is the Erlau’er Rebbe. You can go
in his beis medrash and see him with tefillin. He
keeps the minhogim of his zeide, the Chasam
Sofer, to wear tefillin on chol hamoed and daven nusach Ashkenaz.

There are even some minyonim where people wear
tefillin on Chol Hamoed, like a Yekkishe minyan in Bnei Brak that I know of.

Bekitzur, Al titosh toras imecho, keep on
following your minhog and Al yisbayeish
., as the
Rama says in beginning of Shulchan Aruch Orach Chaim.

See the other comments there.

>For other things? Give it time. How long did it take Jews from Provence,
>Italy and elsewhere to congeal into a single minhag Ashkenaz?

On the contrary,  I doubt that the Chassidim will
ever eat Gebrokts on Pesach,  the Sephardim will
stop eating kitnyos, and  the non-Chassidic world
will stop eating Gebrokts on Pesach.