[Avodah] Rav Breuer' Position on Chalav Yisroel

Ben Bradley bdbradley70 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 24 06:57:54 PST 2018

R' YL's contact said:
>> R. Breuer held that it was halacha to drink Cholov Yisroel - not a
>> 'chumra.'

>> If one could not get cholov Yisroel - if on a trip, or it was not available
>> in one's neighborhood, then one could rely on R. Moshe Feinstein's
>> permitting non-cholov (stam).

R' MB replied:
> I think this snippet of the response is internally inconsistent.
> One doesn't have to drink milk, especially for a duration as short as a
> trip. So this isn't like a heter for a she'as hadechaq. If RYB really
> held that CY was iqar hadin, how could he allow violating that din for
> a trip?
> As I said, his shitah was apparently that CY was a chumerah. Albeit one
> very worth keeping. Which has not stopped being consistent with this now
> thrice-cited story:"

I dont see any inconsistency at all. The paradigm of ikar
hadin\chumra\kula is more of a stereotype than a reality. For R. Breuer
to hold that CY is required by halacha, rather than a chumra, would
not mandate a she'as hadechak situation to justify drinking chalav
stam if he held that there was sufficient weight behind the meikel
opinion. Because then it wouldn't be a technical kula requring snifim
k'hakeil, classic she'as hadechak etc, it would just be a more meikel
opinion which could be held with in minimally non-ideal circumstances.
If he didn't hold that CY was a halacha, rather a chumra b'alma, why
would he go to all that trouble to obtain CY for the community? There
were surely more pressing issues. The anonymous R Breuer expert seems
on the mark given the evidence. BW

Ben