[Avodah] Rav Breuer' Position on Chalav Yisroel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jan 23 15:03:03 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 05:46:19PM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
: >One doesn't have to drink milk, especially for a duration as short as a
: >trip. So this isn't like a heter for a she'as hadechaq. If RYB really
: >held that CY was iqar hadin, how could he allow violating that din for
: >a trip?
:
: You have ignored the part about Chalav Yisroel not being available
: in one's neighborhood.  This is not for a short time generally.

If chalav yisrael is iqar hadin, then we're talking about something is
treif derabbanan, like chicken parmesan. You don't bend it even if it's
not available where you live. But in any case, you simply walked away
from the case in hand.

RYB didn't limit his license to rely on R' Moshe to cases where you can't
get any where you live. He said even on a trip one may do so. It's that
case, the trip, that would never have been permitted had he held that
there was a real issur, but some shitah he didn't buy into permitted.

Another litmus test.... If you accidentally mixed poultry and meat in
your own pot, you would kasher it. Does you source recall anyone in KAJ
being told they have to kasher their posts after making a mistake with
chalav hacompanies?

BTW, Chabad does. (Although the dishes of someone who does consume
chalav hacompanies are different, but that's a whole different topic.)

: >As I said, his shitah was apparently that CY was a chumerah. Albeit one
: >very worth keeping. Which has not stopped being consistent with this now
: >thrice-cited story:

: You are disregarding the email response I received. Rav Breuer held
: keeping Chalav Yisroel was a halacha,  not a chumra, as the response
: says.

This person says so. But since I do not know whether this person heard
as much first-hand or read it from RYBs' writings, I am free to believe
he is mistaken. Yes, I am disragarding the conclusion drawn in an email
that opens by saying RYB held it was assur and then describes RYB as
ruling in a way inconsistent with that opening.

: In light of this I think that you have to modify what you wrote in
: your article on Aspaqlaria regarding Rav Breuer's position on
: drinking only Chalav Yisroel if it is available.

You're just insisting that your anynymous source is more authoritative
than mine, despite the email you showed us seeming to me to undermine
its own thesis.

Micha Berger                 Life is complex.
micha at aishdas.org                Decisions are complex.
http://www.aishdas.org               The Torah is complex.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                                - R' Binyamin Hecht