[Avodah] Rav Breuer' Position on Chalav Yisroel

Prof. Levine larry62341 at optonline.net
Tue Jan 23 14:46:19 PST 2018

At 02:42 PM 1/23/2018, Micha Berger wrote:
>On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 01:24:36PM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
>: Someone on an email list claimed that Rav Breuer held that drinking Chalav
>: Yisroel was a "good Chumra" and permitted the drinking of ordinary milk by
>: members of KAJ.
>: In response:
>:> R. Breuer held that it was halacha to drink Cholov Yisroel - not a
>:> 'chumra.'
>:
>:> If one could not get cholov Yisroel - if on a trip, or it was not available
>:> in one's neighborhood, then one could rely on R. Moshe Feinstein's
>:> permitting non-cholov (stam).
>
>I think this snippet of the response is internally inconsistent.

I disagree.

>One doesn't have to drink milk, especially for a duration as short as a
>trip. So this isn't like a heter for a she'as hadechaq. If RYB really
>held that CY was iqar hadin, how could he allow violating that din for
>a trip?

You have ignored the part about Chalav Yisroel not being available in
one's neighborhood.  This is not for a short time generally.

>As I said, his shitah was apparently that CY was a chumerah. Albeit one
>very worth keeping. Which has not stopped being consistent with this now
>thrice-cited story:

You are disregarding the email response I received. Rav Breuer held
keeping Chalav Yisroel was a halacha,  not a chumra, as the response says.

In light of this I think that you have to modify what you wrote in
your article on Aspaqlaria regarding Rav Breuer's position on
drinking only Chalav Yisroel if it is available.

Also,  apparently your Passaic sources about his position are in error.

YL