[Avodah] Naming Right?

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Sep 25 09:30:37 PDT 2017

On 25/09/17 08:38, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> Please take a shot at  reconciling this statement with current practice,
> and what HKB”H wants from us:
> Rama Y”D 249:13 (my free translation) – In any event one shouldn’t
> glorify oneself with the charity he gives, not only won’t he receive
> reward but he is even punished and in any event one who dedicates an
> item to charity is permitted to write his name on it to be a memorial
> for (to?) him and it is worthy to do so (Taz – so the community cannot
> switch its use).

Where's the contradiction?   People shouldn't brag about their
donations; who does?   But it's totally OK to put ones name on the item
donated; so plaques and building names are fine.  It's also completely
proper, of course, for a mosad to honor a donor -- yehalelcha zar velo
ficha.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all